Friday, September 06, 2013

If this is Friday I slept through Thursday

Getting up at 7:15 on Wednesday morning to haul two cats to the vets, plus a 20 minute side trip to the grocery store is a couple of hours burned out of a day for most people.

I ain't most people. Hobbes is recovering faster from his surgery than I am. Though I'm normally a night-owl I went to bed at 8:30 pm Wednesday and slept until 11:20 yesterday morning. At 3:00 yesterday afternoon I crawled onto the sofa and slept until 7:00, and last night I was in bed at 11:00 and slept until 10:00 this morning.

Actually I'm not completely certain I'm awake now. I had a cup of coffee but it's noon and I still haven't eaten or had the first handful of the meds I take to stay mobile. (I'm not certain they are working as advertised!)

I'm the closest thing you can get to a zombie without the gore and hankering for brains. And I don't have the energy to hold my arms out in front of me like that, or walk stiff-legged. Are there geriatric mummies who sort of shuffle along bent over, bleary-eyed, mumbling to themselves?

Let's face it, there's not much "go" in my reserve tank, and it takes me several hours to warm up to any productive activity. Which is exactly the reason I insist on afternoon appointments for everything. My body has a schedule, which I am not a party to, and it does not allow for substitutions, disruptions, or changes in itinerary.

On the bright side, the polecat/tomcat smell is down by 90% in here, or maybe I'm just too exhausted to smell it, but I think it's down. And maybe Hobbes is just subdued still from the surgery, though he is jumping around like always and had a fierce playing session with Smokey last night, but he's not as aggressive with those needle-like teeth and claws.

I am yawning as if I hadn't slept in a month. I am going to stumble out to the kitchen and find something I can eat without doing anything to it first, take some pills and maybe have a nap. Yeah, a nap sounds really good.

No comments: