Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Planting Time Begins!

Bear with me, I am now tracking planting dates and varieties etc. If gardening talk makes you slightly queasy better get a bucket!

The upcoming week's forecast for daytime maximum temp is for 9-10 C (48-50 F), but it's still below freezing at night. I want to get started with my cool weather seedlings, but they have to be able to go into the containers and fend for themselves once they get to the transplant stage. Hopefully we won't have -6 C for a high on April 6th, like we did last year.

Anyway, I went to the thrift shop about 10 days ago and bought one of those clear plastic zip-up deals that blankets and duvets come packed in. This is a very sturdy one. It cost me 50 cents. (I know, I throw money around like it was money.)

This afternoon I hauled the plastic dealie in from the truck and decided that the bottom needed some kind of reinforcement, if it was going to not collapse with my seedlings inside. For a while anyway I am going to have to carry it outside for sun in the morning and bring it inside for warmth at night.

I had a piece of white Coroplast, so marked it off and cut it, then fitted it inside the plastic dealie. I wish I could think of a better word for this dealie than dealie. Help me! I can edit this afterward to appear more appropriately linguistically gifted.

Then I popped in the 72-cell flat, filled it with organic starter mix and planted nine cells of each of these:


  • Perpetual spinach
  • Broccoli Raab
  • Bok Choi
  • Chinese kale
  • Red onions
  • Green onions
  • Chives
  • Brussel sprouts


I watered it, and zipped the zipper. The "dealie" transformed into a mini-Greenhouse . Magic!

Now we wait to see how many of these come up. Some of this seed says; "Plant by 2006". I put an extra couple of those seeds in each cell.

I was just wondering now how I am going to keep the wretched cat from laying down on the whole thing? I put him outside in his room while I planted - he wanted to go. I know him. That crinkly plastic will be irresistible. Have to work that out still.

No comments: